I admit – I’m a total pushover for flowers. I buy them everywhere, even the fruit market (they have great deals!). And of course I love to get them as gifts.
I got these two potted begonias at the fruit market and thought I might give them as a little gift to friends for Mother’s day. I added a few little flower fairies to make them a little more personal.
To make the faries, I chose 3 images from the Flower Fairies cling set, stamped them in Memento ink and colored them with Copic markers. (Here are the marker colors I used in case inquiring minds want to know).
To hold my little fairies in place, I used floral picks. You can get them anywhere they have flower arranging stuff – they are green wooden picks with a wire attached at the top. I wanted my fairies to be able to move and bounce around – so I converted the wire at the top into little “springs”. You simply wrap the wire tightly around something pretty thin to create a coil. I used the thick end of my stylus – but you could also use the end of another of the picks. Make sure you leave some straight wire at the end to adhere the fairy to. When you are done coiling, just slide the wire off.
I cut out my fairies and then created a matte for them out of dark green cardstock. The easiest way I’ve found to do this is just temporarily adhere the image to the cardstock and then freehand cut around it. Here are all my fairy parts.
To assemble the fairies, just adhere the wire to the front of the cardstock matte and adhere the fairy image over the top. Easy! Here are close-ups of my fairy friends…
I also wanted a card to go with my gift – so I used a different fairy from the same Flower Fairies cling set. I also used the mushroom from the Fairy Fauna cling set (the sentiment is computer generated). These images are also colored with copics.
I cut out my sentiment and image with a Spellbinders oval die. The image is matted on the new Spellbinders Labels 11(I think I’m going to use this one a lot!). The patterned paper is Basic Grey Green at Heart. I created the sky and grass background using this technique (only I didn’t bother masking…shhh, don’t tell…).
It still needed something – so I decided to add flowers. I don’t have flowers in a lot of colors. I usually just buy white flowers and color them to match my project with ink, paint, or in this case Copics. I tried to color each a little differently, and left it a little streaky (on purpose – honest).
If you have flowers – you might need some leaves. So I colored one flower green and cut it up to make leaves.
So that was today’s project. Great new stuff coming into the store – I REALLY want to play more. But my garden is calling me too!